Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Oven Canning


This year Grampa Tom planted some wheat on our row corp land. I had him save me a couple of buckets for bread. They were sitting outside in the shed, but I was concerned about them  going rancid or getting bugs in them. 


Last fall I was reading in Countryside Magazine http://www.countrysidemag.com/ about oven canning. It's the perfect solution! 


You fill the jars with dry goods. I decided to use jars that had previously used lids. Most of them will seal again, and I can use the ones that don't first. 


Once you get a whole bunch of jars  filled, put them in a preheated oven at 170 degrees for one hour. 


This kills any bug eggs or bacteria that might cause the dry goods to go bad.


When you take them out of the oven let them cool, then sort out any that didn't seal and label and store the rest! They ought to last for years if I don't get to them. You can do this with flour, rice, dried beans, just about any dried grain you want to keep in your pantry. Hmmm... wonder if it would work with dried fruit? Might have to try that. Anyway, it's a great way to heat the house on a cold dreary day outside.

God Bless You All!

~Grama Sue



8 comments:

  1. Wrong way to dry can. The jars are not meant to be baked but worse yet the inside may not reach the correct temperature to kill things that kill us. The only approved method adds oxygen absorbers and then puts the lids on the jars. You will need to look up online how much you need. They should seal nicely. If they dont seal use those first. This is the only dry canning approved method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also use a vacuum sealer to store dry goods and dry fruit in jars works very well and removes the oxygen from the jars to help with shelf life. I do this with all my spices and dry good foods and dehydrated fruits. Happy canning

      Delete
    2. I'm not terribly concerned about things that could kill me. I'm only canning dried goods to extend their shelf life and prevent bugs from infesting.

      Delete
  2. Sue, good post. Clever idea. Alan davenport, could you give a link to the additional info on oxygen absorbers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look online just type oxygen / moisture absorbers. Ive heard some Walmarts and grocery stores now carry them. I also found out dry canning in oven can cause nutrition loss plus jars could break. Much easier put the dry stuff into the jar, stick an absorber and close the lid. Done and done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can my walnuts this way every year. Works great I got the instructions in an old canning book. I have never used oxygen absorbers. Wonder what chemicals are in those..

    ReplyDelete
  5. None. It's metal shavings. As they oxidize they use up the oxygen in the bag of jar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish this comment thread had a like button Sue! The risk of things that kill when it comes to canning only thrive in a moist environment. “Dry” canning “dry” goods eliminates that risk. Some people are just uneducated when it comes to food storage and only do what the FDC tell them to do.

    ReplyDelete